This guide will help you to understand segmentation and how to use it effectively for better targeting of your emails
- Segment Use-Cases
On SendX platform lists are a collection of contacts whereas tags are used to segregate contacts based on activity, event or other such attributes. Both lists and tags can be used to target a particular set of users at a higher granularity.
However when you need to send a campaign based on a condition or group of conditions they fail. This is where segments kick in. They can be used to get a group of contacts which comply to a group of conditions eg:
Get me all contacts which are registered (list), have created a profile ( tag ) and have shared on Facebook ( tag ) and have been sent Winter Clothing and Summer Showdown campaigns.
Now the above group of conditions can be broken down to:
- Users who are a part of Registered Users list * Have tags createdprofile and sharedon_fb * Have been sent Winter clothing and Summer Showndown campaigns
Segments are primarily useful in the following ways:
- Send a targeted broadcast email campaign to a set of contacts
- See in-depth analytics for a certain behaviour ex - see all contacts (subscribers) who match the following criteria:
Present in a List AND Have not clicked any link in a campaign AND Have not replied to the campaign.
- Perform a bulk operation on a group of contacts eg: Tag contacts as active who have opened atleast 2 campaigns in last 1 month or Delete all contacts who have not opened any of the last 5 campaigns
- Trigger an Action for a contact (subscriber) when he got Added to a Segment. You would simply have to create an Automation rule for this.
- Exclude contacts (subscribers) present in a Segment from certain Drip Steps.